Tuesday, September 3, 2013

why?

[Prologue: This is the blog for my time as a Salesian Lay Missioner; living in Montero, Bolivia as a teacher at El Centro Sagrado Corazon for about a year 2013- 2014]

"Why?" I expect this is the question most of you would think to ask when hearing about how I plan to spend this next year. Let me preface my answer with a story:

Luke 2:41-52
     "Each year his parents went to Jerusalem for the feast of passover, and when he was twelve years old, they went up according to festival custom. After they had completed its days, as they were returning, the boy Jesus remained behind in Jerusalem, but his parents did not know it. Thinking that he was in the caravan, they journeyed for a day and looked for him among their relatives and acquaintances, but not finding him, they returned to Jerusalem to look for him. After three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions, and all who heard him were astounded at his understanding and his answers. When his parents saw him they were astonished, and his mother said to him, "Son, why have you done this to us? Your father and I have been looking for you with great anxiety." And he said to them, "Why were you looking for me? Did you not know I must be in my Father's house?" But they did not understand what he said to them and came to Nazareth, and was obedient to them; his mother kept all these things in her heart. And Jesus advanced in wisdom and age and favor before God and man."

In modern terms Jesus says, "Duh. Isn't it obvious that I had to be where God wants me?" I feel likewise about my call to mission: it's where I need to be so why would I be doing anything else right now? Why not?

It's hard to pinpoint exactly how or where my journey here all began. To be honest though, it began long before I was even born. And I realize that may seem lofty, but it's true! God knows His plans for us when we're nothing more than just an idea in His mind: since the beginning of time.

Basically put, I've always felt a strong desire to help the world on a large, global scale. When I entered college, I struggled with what to major in. I remember saying to my oldest brother, "I want a career that helps a lot of people all over the world, but also allows me to live comfortably and I don't how to marry those two ideals together." I see this as an environmental goal and also as a societal goal. I ended up going to a year two college and just graduated last May from the Honors College with my Associates in Liberal Arts.

Backtrack to high school, my youth group was affiliated with the Salesians. Salesians are the Society of St. Francis de Sales, Roman Catholic, founded by Saint John Bosco in Italy dedicated mainly to education and mission work. Don Bosco is know as the "friend of the young and the poor". There is something unique about the Salesian spirit that is hard to define. If I had to though, I'd say the Salesian spirit is welcoming and fun. Faith and fun as one. Through the Salesians I took part in their Gospel Roads program which are week long service retreats. This allowed me to do volunteer work in New Jersey, Washington, D.C., Alabama and New Orleans.

Fast Forward again to the end of my time at college. New Year's and once again I resolve not to make any resolutions because I know that I won't keep them anyway. But while talking to some friends about what comes next, I believe this year could be different. Most were transferring after their two years to continue to a four year school and get a Bachelor's degree. I couldn't confidently say that's what I wanted to do. I still was unsure about what to major in and I can't go on until I have a clearer understanding of where my academic career is taking me. Also if I did go on somewhere else, I was afraid I would be trapped on the American Dream conveyor belt. I'd go to college --> get a degree --> get a job --> get a family --> be stuck. I still had these grandiose plans to travel (but not necessarily to be touristy) and if I kept on that conveyor belt I didn't know when the opportunity to do so would arise. Someone at the diner that evening mentioned the Salesian Lay Missioners (SLMs) and a distant memory stirred. I'd heard the name before but hadn't bothered to look it up much because I was too young.

My interest piqued. I began to research the program again. It made so much sense! I just make the requirements: I have a college degree, I will be the minimum age when I depart (I have to wait until September 19), it fulfills my desire to serve on a large scale, I already love Salesians, there's not much holding me to stay on Long Island. So I applied and here I am; I'm doing it. All signs point to NOW. This is the time to reach out and find my limits (if they even exist): do something that scares me: do something to help others: learn about a new culture and it's beautiful people.

No comments:

Post a Comment