Thursday, February 6, 2014

Bridging the Gap

I never got around to writing blog about Christmas... but inspiration has struck and I want to share another story with you all while it's still fresh. So Christmas will have to wait for some other time, I apologize.

Today was the despidada (going away party) for two of our little girls from the Hogar. Two months ago, two couples came from Holland to see their new daughters in person for the first time. Since then they have been here getting to know their new family and adjust to one another.
It is such a special thing to see how they interact. Immediately today, I could notice love and a strong bond that has already been formed between the parents and their daughters. It's strange to think of how the future might be for these girls. They are still young so they might forget Spanish altogether and end up being fluent English and maybe Dutch as well. I wonder if they will have any memories from the Hogar and Guadaria besides what they see in photographs...
The families made a large donation of toys for all the many girls who will still be living at the Hogar as well as a washing machine to ease the load since everyone washes by hand. We had an event to say thank you for the donations but above all, for the love they have for their daughters.

Around Christmas I was asked, "Why don't you join the choir at the Hogar!?" by the Mother Superior, other sisters and some of the girls as well. I said okay and on January third, the classes began. But then I caught up in other activities and went on vacation to Cochabamba so I hadn't gone for a while. Finally, this week with the beginning of Institute classes, I was able to make a schedule with the choir practice built in. I went to my first real meeting of the choir yesterday. Afterwards the teacher asked me if I could come in a lead the lesson the following day so they could practice before the event. We had talked early in January about my ability to read music and my experience and such, so he knew I could keep the rhythm. The girls already knew the songs so it would be my job to just mark the time and signal for them to come in (along with setting up the track and speakers). My job as the music choir teaching assistant had begun!

So after convent lunch, I walked over the Hogar and assembled the girls together to practice their two songs. Before I knew it, the parents had arrived and it was show time. "Cool," I thought, "now I just get to wait until the choir has their turn to perform and that's it!" Unexpectedly, Profe Lilly (a teacher who works full time at the Hogar as the Madre's right-hand woman), asked if I could translate for the parents. Startled, and nervous, I obliged.

If you've read any of my previous blogs (there's not many), you'll know that getting over the language barrier was a BIG hurdle for me. In recent months, my confidence has increased tremendously in my speaking abilities! I froze for a second as the pressure of Profe's request settled around me, but I agreed and it made me really happy.

It was easy for me! But more than that, I was overjoyed to be the bridge of communication. I presented the various acts and through me, Profe and Madre were able to convey just how much they were grateful for these lovely people and all that they have done for not only their daughters, but everyone else at the Hogar as well. And in return, the parents were able to express how amazed they were with the Hogar- the great impression it has left on them. One mother said, "Yes, there are more opportunities for people in Holland, but the most important thing is love and here there is love. This is the best place for the girls to grow up." The words that were said in truth brought tears to the parents and to me as well. I can't explain it very well I'm afraid, but I really could feel God working through me. The Holy Spirit raining gifts so I could connect the messages being sent between the Bolivians and Hollanders (if that's what they're called).

Madre mentioned how this is always a happy and sad time for her. On the one hand, it is a joy to have kids be adopted, but on the other, it's sad to see how many have to stay. I am so excited for what the future holds for these two families. They may not be families of blood, but they are truly families of heart. The amount of love... it transcends words.

Please keep these families in your prayers, as well as all of our girls and people out there who are considering adoption or going through the process!


*ps: The Hogar only started having adoptions to Holland ten years ago. Before, the adoptions were just to the United States, Germany, Spain, France and within Bolivia. Due to recent laws, Americans can no longer adopt Bolivian children. However, within these past ten years, fifteen girls have been adopted to Holland from the Hogar Sagrado Corazon. One of them actually just got married to a man from Holland as well! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment